Sunday, January 16, 2011

Worship - It's a Heart Thing

Worship?

What is worship really?  I think we've contorted its meaning in many ways and I am equally guilty at times, so I'd like to address the idea of worship.

1)  I think it would be good to start with it's definition.

noun

- the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity


2)  I want to focus not on the "feeling" but the "expression" of reverence and adoration for a deity.  Not just any deity but the one true God.  Feelings come and go but expression is a choice.  How do we express our reverence and adoration toward God?

It's interesting that when we speak of worship in the church we often mean the musical portion of the Sunday service.  There is worship, communion, the sermon, prayer time, etc.

"Wow, worship was great today.  I loved that song by Third Day"

Worship may happen during the "praise" or during the delivery of the message but it's also possible that worship doesn't occur at either time because worship is a thing of the heart.

3)  It's also important to see the direction of worship.  It's up.  From us to HIM.  It's not about how a song made us feel, which instruments were played, or even exclusively about music at all.  It's about pouring out our love, appreciation, adoration, and hearts to God.

Let me give an example:

Imagine that your spouse, or child, best friend, or parent has been shipped overseas and you haven't seen or heard from them in 3 years.  Out of the blue a call comes in telling you to head to the airport because there is a surprise waiting.  When you get to the airport you walk to the baggage claim.  Off in the distance an unmistakable smile reaches your eyes.  Your heart pounds and when the person is within your reach you run and wrap your arms around them.  You cry tears of joy and squeeze them, not wanting to let go ever again.  You pour out words of love.

"I love you so much!  I missed you!  Please don't leave again.  You have no idea how much you mean to me!"

You lavish them with your love.  Now worship is that on steroids.

4)  You might ask, "How can it be more than that?"  The answer is in the recognition of position, that God is high and lifted up.  He is holy and awesome.  With your friend or relative the position is theoretically equal.  But worship acknowledges that it is not equal with God.  He is God and we are not.  He does indeed love us but he will not bow down to us.

5)  Worship is also about posture, not our physical posture (although it can certainly lead us to fall prostrate before him or to our knees in prayer).  It is more of a reflection of our heart's posture.  It comes out of a humble heart.  It's impossible to be prideful and boastful before God and truly worship.

Worship is what we do at work, in our kitchens as we prepare to feed our families, in our heads as we fall asleep, in our church gathering as we sing songs of praise.  I know as a member of a praise band that if someone is out of tune, if there is nasty feedback, or if someone forgets which key we are in it can be annoying and distracting but it does not affect true worship.  Satan may try really hard to get our attention and attempt to turn our focus from God to ourselves.  Let's not let him.  I have a friend who loves the Lord.  His voice is mediocre at best from a worldly standpoint but when he pours out his admiration to God in song or praise I know God smiles.  By the way, I usually don't get a microphone during worship but I know God smiles when he hears my voice even if I am flat, sharp, or two beats behind.

As we move into this next week let's remember the definition, the expression, the direction, our position, and our posture before the Lord.

Worship Him friend!!!  

Love you all,

David











1 comment:

  1. David,

    I came here tonight hoping for a new post. When I didn't see one I reread the "Worship-It's a Heart Thing". Obviously, God knew that was what I needed to read. I have had a rough week and have been reminded many times that I really need to learn that worshipping God is not about my circumstances.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment or question. This is meant to be a dialogue not a monologue. Look forward to hearing from you!