Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Dead Brother, a Sad Dad, and a Betrayed Savior. Pride and Greed Trump Relationship.


Today my heart is heavy and I am personally reminded again of the brokenness of the human heart.  I am sadly experiencing first hand how sin has clouded our vision and leads us to harm our brothers, our friends, our neighbors.  It started in the Garden of Eden when Cain took the life of his brother because he was jealous.  We haven't changed much but then again if we had, I guess Jesus would've been able to stay home.


This post is going to ruffle some feathers but I'm going to let the chips fall where they may and leave you to examine my words in light of God's Word and then examine your own hearts.  I promise to do the same.


We live in a society that is increasingly feeling "entitled."  We think we deserve this and we deserve that.  It doesn't really matter where the "this" and "that" come from as long as we get it and regardless of who gets hurt.  Even our own Declaration of Independence tells us that we deserve "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." Watch the news, read the paper, and if you have a lot of spare time on your hands read the budget of the United States.  I won't go into all of the specific "entitlements" but each one necessitates  the receiver receiving and some anonymous person or persons giving (either willingly or unwillingly).  Here is a good example from God's Word:


In Luke Chapter 15 Jesus tells a parable of a young man who asked his father for his share of the inheritance.  What he was saying was "Dad, I kind of wish you were dead now so I could have the money I'm entitled to but since you aren't dead yet, may I have it now?"  WOW!  How painful for the dad who gave so much of himself over so many years and when it came right down to it money trumped relationship.  


Do you know what the bible tells us we're entitled to?  Nothing.  No, I take that back.  The bible does say we deserve something - death.  How unconstitutional.  How revolting.  How true.  The bible says that we've all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God and the wages of sin is death.  That is the very reason Jesus did leave home and come to die.  God doesn't owe us a thing. But because of his love he chooses to love us.


Oh yeah, another story just popped into my head.  There was this man named Judas who Jesus chose to be one of his closest followers.  Jesus had come from the perfection and majesty of the throne room of heaven to live, suffer, and die for mankind.  While he was alive he loved Judas and broke bread with him but Judas felt he could do a little better that just the beauty of the relationship.  "How much better?" you ask.  Thirty pieces of silver better.  I'm sure Judas hugged Jesus, told him he loved him, and acted like he cared but when the opportunity came for a little cash, Judas cashed in their relationship.  He kissed Jesus on the cheek about ten seconds before he betrayed him.  He sacrificed the love of Jesus for a little cash and when he finally looked upon his measly gain he was repulsed at what he saw in the proverbial mirror.  He then took his own life.  Sad.  He had love and eternal life and tossed it away for a few coins.


So how are we supposed to live?  I guess the answer is that we need to live a life that brings glory to God with what we have and trust in him for our provision.  We should remember that relationships are an amazing gift and money, sex, material things will come and go.  Make your choices carefully. There are a couple lives that shine and I want you to have the ability to see them first hand. They would appear to have been short changed and unable to function effectively for God or even for there own sustenance but with God all things are possible.


Meet Joni Erickson Tada who was paralyzed from the neck down in a swimming accident.


Watch Video of Joni 


Meet Nick Vujicic who was born without arms or legs


Watch Video of Nick




Examine your heart and I'll examine mine today.  What is most valuable to you?  The things of this world or love, specifically God's love but also the love and relationships of brothers and sisters in Christ?  Do we speak love with our lips when our actions reveal the coldness of our hearts?  Actions speak louder than words.  Families divided, friends divided, and a people separated from their Savior.  What do I deserve and to what am I entitled?  Hmmmm.  I thank God that he didn't give me what I deserve but had mercy on me instead.


peace,


David

2 comments:

  1. David... hopefully this isn't a duplicate comment. I had trouble trying to post my comment the first time around.

    I read Joni's book when I was in high school. I also had the chance to hear her speak and meet her. Her life and testimony has had a profound impact on my life.

    Thanks for sharing the TRUTH David. You're right. I deserve nothing, yet I am so blessed. I am grateful for my salvation, for grace, and for the many blessings in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz...

    I think it's good for us to see and to know that every beat of our heart, every breath into our lungs, every time our eyes wake to see the morning are all undeserved gifts from God. Please pray for me to stay Godly in a difficult situation. You are one of my most dedicated prayer warriors and I am blessed to call you sister.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment or question. This is meant to be a dialogue not a monologue. Look forward to hearing from you!