Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Humble Pie

Have you ever had to eat humble pie?  Maybe that phrase is foreign to you so let me say it this way: 


Have you ever been forced to apologize abjectly or admit you faults in humiliating circumstances? 


The old saying is derived from an actual pie that was called "numble" or "umble" pie.  It was a pie that was made from the edible entrails of a deer.  Sure they were mixed with apples and sugar and spices but as far as I can tell it was still deer gut pie.  My guess is that if you wanted your kids to eat a slice there was a fair amount of persuasion or force involved.  


So it is often with humility.  We are a prideful people and we often display humility as willingly as we put down a slice of "umble pie".  Its no wonder the term evolved into "humble pie".  But God's word reminds us that if we carry pride it will eventually destroy us.  It is much better to willingly be humble of heart than to carry pride and be forced to eat "humble pie."  


Proverbs 16:18 puts it this way:


Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.


Haughty is defined as: having or showing great pride in oneself and disdain, contempt, or scorn for others; proud


God warns us that a spirit filled with pride is destined to fall.  Sometimes it is in this life and worse it may be paid for in the afterlife.  I think that pride is the basis for nearly all other sin.  It is was says, "I deserve this!", "I can do what I want!", "I am my own boss!", etc.  Pride is what keeps us from repentance and from receiving the loving grace of God.  "I don't need that!  I'm a good person!  I'm better than the guy next door."  


Psalm 10:4 says, "In his pride the wicked man does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God."  


Pride keeps us from seeking God and from seeking life though his son Jesus Christ.


On the other hand, Jesus said, "For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted" and Psalm 149 says, "He crowns the humble with victory."


Take advice from a man who was filled with pride and refused to humble himself before God.  Save yourself the pain of a fall and seek God while he may be found.  There is such freedom and forgiveness in humbly coming to the cross.  Jesus said he came to save sinners.  We're all broken and have nothing to be haughty about so look truthfully at yourself, find any speck of pride and ask God to rid you of it.  I still fight with pride but the moments of humility that I find are sweet like honey because that is when I most clearly see the hand of God.


Besides, I don't think I want to eat one lousy slice of deer gut pie!


Peace friend,


David

2 comments:

  1. This is a great post on pride & humility. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jackson for taking the time to comment.... Stop back any time. God bless...

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment or question. This is meant to be a dialogue not a monologue. Look forward to hearing from you!