Saturday, May 9, 2009

Nowhere Else to Go?

It was pitch black and, even though the temperature in the room was seventy degrees, he was shaking like a leaf.  In a world of nearly 7 billion people he was all alone and life seemed like a big, cruel joke; you're born, you live, you die.  He had an awesome family, a good job, a nice home, and two doctoral degrees hanging on his wall but he was some how empty inside.  Some days were good, some amazing, but most were ones never to be remembered.  What was the point of it all?  If he was to live 5 years or ninety five, whether he lived in Malibu, California or Dhaka, Bangladesh, he was going to end up dust so what did it really matter?  Everything gained could so easily be lost.  Every goal reached and every object of affection obtained  failed to fulfill the promise of satisfaction it had promised. He was ready to quit.  He had failed, so it seemed, and he had nowhere else to go.  It was the end of the line.  Ever been there?  Ever said to yourself, "I can't do it any more."?  I know I'm not talking to all of you but I know I'm talking to someone today.

He had done religion, at least the outward religion of man and even acknowledge the existence of God, but his God had been one of his own making.  He had a Sunday morning life and then he had the rest of his life.  Church was a nice add-on kind of like an option on a new car.  If you add the power seats and the  DVD player then the car was better.  If you added "church" then life was better.  He liked the God of unconditional love but threw out the God of holiness and wrath. He liked the God who went by many names (Yawaeh, Allah, Gia, Buddha, Krishna, and the like) but wasn't really sure about this Jesus who claimed to be the "Only way".  

In the cold, darkness of the room that night he cried out to God.  Sure, maybe God didn't exist but what did he have to lose?  "God, if you are real and if Jesus can really take away my sins, if you really truly love me then I need to hear from you now.  I'm sorry!"  This was the first time in over thirty years that he REALLY wanted to know the truth.  It was the first time that he was so over himself that his ears were open to hear the truth.  It was the first time that he clung to the answer like a paratrooper clings to his parachute.  Now God wasn't just a part of an expletive or a figure he learned about in Sunday school.  He wasn't just a name he tossed around like "Santa Claus".  If he existed, God was his very breath and life.  At that moment there didn't seem to be much air in the room and a breath like that would has been welcome indeed.

For a while the room was eerily quiet but he wasn't cold anymore.  The darkness wasn't quite as dark and he didn't feel alone.  OK, "I'm just imagining this feeling of peace." he thought.  But in his Spirit he heard something.  Audible?  Not exactly, but not just a thought either.  Hard to describe but real for sure.  It was like God was ready to make a dead man alive.  Like he was calling down to him saying, "Now my son you are ready to walk with me." After a quick word to his wife, he fell asleep.   The next day the dusty old Bible in the bookcase became like a canteen of cold water to a man who had been dying in the desert. Words that had been dry, boring, and meaningless became amazingly alive and satiating.  It finally started to make sense! " Yes, I get it now God," He thought.  "I was away from you because of my sin.  I was dead in my spirit and couldn't hear your voice.  Your Word and the story of Jesus were foolishness to me because my heart was hardened and my pride was my god.  Jesus (God in the flesh) loved me so much that he left heaven, took the form of a man, lived a perfect life, died in my place on the cross, bore the punishment that my sin deserved, he was buried, three days later rose from the dead, conquering death once and for all, and has already prepared a place for me in heaven.  As far as the east is from the west, that how far he has removed my sin.  He gives us new birth through faith in his name.  Want a fresh start, a "do-over"?  

OK friend, come a bit closer.  I want to tell you a secret.  The man, that lost and broken man, was me.  I told you a few months ago that this ministry was about transparency and about being real.  So there you have it!  We can't come to the cross with our pride and our good deeds.  We can't come with make-up on our defects and self righteousness over our guilt.  God knows it all already. We can't hide.  Look, Jesus Christ came to save sinners like you and me.  He didn't have many kind words to those who thought they were good because, like the Bible says, "None is righteous, no not one (Romans 3:10).  God humbled me big time.  It hurt but I wouldn't change it for anything in the world, ANYTHING. 

If I'm speaking to you today, if you are broken, tired, sad, guilty, lost, or in utter despair, please humble yourself and call on the God of all creation.  No fancy words needed, just your heart. God promises in his Word to draw near to those who draw near to him (James 4:8).  He promises that he will hear from heaven, forgive your sin, and heal your land (2 Chronicles 7:17). He promises to crown the humble with salvation and give them grace (Psalms 149 & 3).  Repent of your sin (I know that's an old fashioned word but it is still the best one.  It just means be sorry in your heart and turn in the other direction).  He will heal your heart but you have to be willing to let go.  I also want you to know that he didn't leave you without real flesh and blood brothers and sisters here to walk along side of you.  If you need help in this walk please contact us through the "comment" link below or in the "contact" area of our main site www.I61project.org.

PS.  Ivor's CD "Nowhere Else to Go" is for sale on line at CD Baby (please go take a listen if you'd like) and we have started the process of applying for non-profit status - 501(c)(3) and there is a link to the left if you'd like to help us out.

Love you all,

David

7 comments:

  1. Although I would never wish you the pain that brought you to that moment, I'll be forever grateful for that moment you opened your heart to the Lord of the universe.

    The times in my life I've been the most broken and needy are the times when God has most greatly brought His peace.

    Thank you for this message of truth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your transparency! For me I find that it does help to hear about how others found a relationship with God. I try to find something in everyone that I can grab onto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your transparency! For me I find that it does help to hear about how others found a relationship with God. I try to find something in everyone's experience that I can grab onto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my minds eye, as I mentally went through a very painful exercise - removing one by one - all of the worldly experiences, relationships, belongings, people in my life - that were a part of me - I was forced to ask myself - what else is left? The image that appeared was my one true Lord and savior. That was the beginning of healing and change...

    I too am thankful for forgiveness...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too was broken and God reminded me that He was the potter and I was the clay. He will never let His children stay far (; Thanks so much for sharing your amazing transformation story ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you friends for your comments and your hearts. I know that many who've read this have stories of their own. Actuallly, we ALL have a story. Some feel comfortable to share and others don't but the key is to be transparent at least with God. You have to start where you are. It's the only place that God can begin to give you new life, a new birth, a clean slate. <>< D

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment or question. This is meant to be a dialogue not a monologue. Look forward to hearing from you!