Saturday, July 17, 2010

Get Rid of the Static - Listening to God Above the Noise of the World

I was driving to work the other day when I turned on the radio to a Christian station.  This particular station is a bit smaller and it's broadcast radius equally small so as I turned a corner in the road the once clear voice of the Bible teacher became intermingled with classical piano music.  For about a mile or two the Word of God was very difficult to hear as two out of every three words was overtaken by static, the musical notes of the piano, and then by the voice of the classical station DJ.  So, back and forth it went: 


Bible Teacher :  "Jesus said in John Chapter one, 'in the begin . . .'


static, static, static 


Bb7, F#m7, A, Em


static, static, static


Bible Teacher:  "Through Him all . . . "


D.J. :  "Now we'll enjoy Chopin's Nocturne in B-Flat minor"


static, static


I realized that God was showing me something in this.  He was showing me that, in this world, there are many things that compete for our attention especially those things that hinder us from hearing and discerning God's voice (a voice that the Bible, at one point, calls a "still small voice").


Did you ever try to answer your cell phone at a rock concert?  You know how you try really hard to listen to the person on the other end but the music is so loud and the crowd is so overwhelming that it's impossible.  You try plugging your other ear, sitting down, and tucking your head between your knees and you can hear a little better but the conversation is still marred.  If it's a really important call you stand up and walk out of the arena to a quiet place and soon the competing music and the roar of the crowd begins to fade.  Slowly,  the voice on the phone becomes clear and the conversation productive.


As I drew nearer to the Christian radio station tower the classical music faded and the Word's of John the Apostle came through clear as a bell:


"The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, came from the Father, full of grace and truth."


The Bible tells us that the children of God recognize his voice which is a wonderful truth but equally true is that we need to be listening.  My children know my voice from all other voices but for some reason when they are playing a video game, in a trance-like state, my words fall on deaf ears.  When the game goes off (which it does really fast if my children ignore me) and they look in my eyes, it seems the words sink in much better.  


In Matthew Chapter 15 Jesus was teaching the crowd of followers and began his teaching with these words, "Listen and understand . . ."


In Mark Chapter 4 Jesus was sharing the parable of the sower and he begins with this, "Listen!  A farmer went out to sow his seed."


Did you notice the exclamation point?  Jesus knew that even more important than hearing was actually listening.  Everyone within reach of Jesus' voice could hear him but not everyone listened.  We often say, "I wish I could hear the voice of God." But I think God showed me again this week that if I want to hear him I need to tune out all the other static.  I need to turn off the TV, the IPOD, and the computer.  I need to get alone with him and spend some time in his written Word and on my knees (of whatever posture you find fit to pray).  Sure God can yell and often times I have found that if I have ignored him or failed to listen I get a really uncomfortable wake-up call.


I'm not sure if this touched you today, but I pray that your ears begin to hear and your heart respond to God's often still small voice.


Peace Friend,


David

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post a comment or question. This is meant to be a dialogue not a monologue. Look forward to hearing from you!