Friday, February 6, 2009

Burger King Faith

Do you remember the Burger King slogan "Have it your way."?  A little ketsup (or catsup if you'd prefer), no lettuce, a slice of cheese, but hold the onions.  Perfect! My own custom burger to my liking. 

I was chatting recently with a member of my family about faith and it once again came to me that we (the human race) has pulled up to the take out window of life and attempted to order up a faith of our own liking, a god (with a little "g") who conforms to our wants.  

Tom's order looks like this, "I'll take a little god that will give me what we want but not interfere with my daily life, a god who grades on the curve, a god who will understand that I'm not perfect but better than most, and a god who won't spoil my fun.  Oh, by the way, can I have a side of prosperity and hold the taxes please."

Ann's order looks like this, "I'd like to be a small part of god,  a god that is really just the collective energy of all that is.  You know, me, you, the rocks, and the honey bees.  We're all part of god.  I'll take two orders of karma and one order of reincarnation with a side of harmony."

Kyle's order looks like this, "I'll take a glass of water and hold the god...  he gives me hives!"

Anyway, my point would be?  We've tried to make a god after our own liking and the truth is this:  God is!  God is who he is!  God is One and isn't created by our thoughts and desires.  We are the created ones.  He is the potter and we are the clay.

I had this discussion with a group of high school youth and tried to explain the concept of "truth". We used gravity as an example and it went something like this.  If you don't believe in gravity that's your purgative.  You might even be really sincere in your disbelief of gravity but when you and I go up to the roof and I watch you jump, gravity will show itself to be true.  It just is!  And God, the God of the Bible, the God of all creation is who he is regardless of what you and I want or believe.  Jesus is God wrapped in human flesh even if we want to demote him to just another really great guy who did and said really great things.

Before I finish up, I'd like you to listen to a song that Ivor has written and I want you to try hard to listen to the words.  Let them sink in.  I'll catch you on the flip side :)



There is one way to God and that way is through Jesus Christ.  Don't let anybody fool you.  My friend, God loves you!  I mean really LOVES you and wants you to come home.  He has provided safe harbor, a open gate, and a narrow road.  He has given us his Son.  You won't find peace in your wealth, in your self esteem, in your position, in your pleasure, in your fame, or in your possessions.  As you live from one day to the next, one meal to the next, one vacation to the next, or one goal to the next, I know that if you really think about it, you'll see that it doesn't satisfy.  It's not supposed to! Only God can do that and he wants to!  

I challenge you to take an honest look at your life.  I'll do the same!  Think about the dreams you had when you were young (if you are young then you'll just have to trust me on this).  Think about the things you've bought, the people you've put your trust in, the money in your 401K (if there's any left).  Did they provide what they promised?  

Jesus said "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Ultimately, it will all rust!  Ultimately, we'll all pass from this earth and none of it goes with us.  Do you know HIM?  If you're just living one day to the next I pray that God would draw you near.  I pray that he would open your eyes and your heart.  I know we want it "our way" but be careful.  You might just get what you ask for!  Trust me when I say that his way is the best way...  If you don't believe me, ask HIM.  Ask him to show you the truth.  He's calling us home friends and as they say, there is no place like home!

God bless!  

David

8 comments:

  1. Good word David! Beautiful song Ivor. Thank you for bringing the sense of Awe back to the name of the Lord. God Is...Hmm...Thank you Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you STT. And you are right; God is definitely...Hmm! :)
    Way to play straight up brother David!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise Jesus!
    The Holy Spirit is working in you, Dave!
    Awesome song, Ivor!! Thank you.

    Yes, Christ is calling us home - the home He established 2000 years ago upon the rock of Peter. (Matthew 16:13-19)
    Jesus never wanted us to be left without Him. That is why he gave us His true presence in Holy Communion. (John 6:35-61)
    Too many are seeking a church that feels good, is perfect, has everything they want and/or understand or serves coffee with the sermon.
    Where's the faith in that? Where's the sacrifice?
    No matter what church we worship in, we are certainly all still brothers and sisters in Christ and part of His one body. Yet division is weakening us and allowing the enemy to work.
    We need to pray for unity.

    After spending years searching in this church or that church for what suited my needs and studying the Bible from cover to cover many times, the Holy Spirit brought me home.
    All the other churches were beautiful and filled with holy Christian men and women, to be sure.
    Coming home to the Catholic Church was like stepping from a beautiful small room into an even more beautiful larger room.
    check out these sites:
    http://www.chnetwork.org/
    http://www.catholicscomehome.org/index.phtml
    Some good books-
    Surprised by the Truth
    Rome Sweet Home by former anti-Catholic, Scott Hahn

    God bless you on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Green Mom...

    I agree "Praise Jesus!!" Quick comment for all. Home=right relationship with God through faith in Jesus Christ (His once for all redeeming work on the cross of Calvary). Anything man-made that detracts us from HIM is not good. Anything that is not true to his Word is not good. There are saved and lost people in all denominations including Methodists, Baptists, and Catholics. Those who came to faith through Paul, Barnabas, Matthew, and Peter were all brought into the body of Christ. Every gathering of believers from every denomination is made up of fallible and weak sinners both in the pews as well as in the highest levels of leadership. Let us come home to our only Savior Jesus Christ and serve him with passion! I was raised Catholic and worship in a Methodist church but I am defined as a Christian, a follower of Jesus. I'm SO glad that you have found a place to worship and serve the God of all creation!!! I know you are letting his light shine through you there and on the street! Keep up your ministry. I know you are bringing hope to many. God Bless Green Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post reminds me of one of my FAVORITE songs, by Sara Groves, The Word. Here are the lyrics:

    I've done every devotional
    Been every place emotional
    Trying to hear a new word from God
    And I think it's very odd
    That while I attmept to help myself
    My Bible sits upon my shelf
    With every promise I could ever need

    CHORUS:
    And the Word was
    And the Word is
    And the Word will be

    People are getting fit for truth
    Like they're buying a new tailored suit
    Does it fit across the shoulders
    Does it fade when it get older
    We throw ideas that aren't in style
    In the Salvation Army pile
    And search for something more to meet our needs

    CHORUS:
    And the Word was
    And the Word is
    And the Word will be

    I think it's time I rediscover
    All the ground that I have covered,
    Like seek ye first what a verse
    We are pressed but not crushed
    Perplexed but don't despair
    We are persecuted but not abandoned
    We are no longer slaves
    We are daughters and sons
    And when we are weak we are very strong
    And neither death nor life nor present
    Nor future nor depth nor height
    Can keep us from the love of Christ
    And the Word I need is the Word that was
    Who put on flesh to dwell with us
    In the beginning

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your comments keep hitting close to home! Thank you for continuing to provide me with things that make me think deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liz, great comment! It's all right there in his Word! We often say "God doesn't speak to me."

    Well, he has spoke truth to all of us and we can hear him every time we open his Word... Thanks for the comment and for sharing the powerful lyrics to Sarah Groves' song.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're welcome ChocolateQueen... We're glad you're being fed. Stick around! I think God will continue to bless you. God is good!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment or question. This is meant to be a dialogue not a monologue. Look forward to hearing from you!