Sunday, November 7, 2010

Don't Give Up!

Are you tired?  Is your hope dwindling or even gone? Has joy left you or maybe it never seemed to be part of your life?  Please know this:  Your are not alone!! You are loved beyond measure!!  You are valuable in God's sight!!  


I know that these words alone may seem powerless to provide the hope and power to change the way you feel and even more powerless to change your circumstances but they are none-the-less TRUTH and Jesus promised that the truth would set your free.


I want to share with you some things today that you may need to read over and over before they sink in and take root but you have to start somewhere.  As far as I know no one ever got from here to there without moving ahead so please hold on and take a few steps with me.


1) God made you with purpose


     "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart." Jeremiah 1:5


     God spoke these words to Jeremiah but understand that you too were created by God and known by him before one cell ever came to be.


2) God loves you


     "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this:  While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8


     You see, God's love came to you before you cleaned up your act.  Not only did he love you when you were making mistakes he gave up his son for you.  If you have children you can ponder that for a moment to see the magnitude of the gift.


3)  You are not alone in the midst of your trials and temptations nor are they without a greater purpose


     "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."  Isaiah 41:10


     "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."  James 1:1-4


     You've never learned, grown, or been strengthened without struggle.  Courage doesn't come without danger, compassion doesn't come without people in need, and faith doesn't come without a circumstance for which we see no resolution.  


4)  If you turn to God he will give you hope and that hope will give you strength!


     "Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him."  Psalm 62:5


     "But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."  Isaiah 40:31


     Not only does God provide for you the hope but he also will turn that hope into real power!


5) This life and it's struggles are not the final word for those who trust in Christ.


     "He will wipe every tear from their eyes.  There will be no more death, or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." Revelation 21:4




I have known hopelessness and despair and have seen the power of Christ to restore hope and life.  I know that in the pit of loneliness, addiction, fear, and depression these words may not immediately bring you healing but you will be lifted up if you put your hope in God alone.  You may not feel it today or tomorrow but do not give up!  Our emotions are fickle.  They come and go.  Read and pray over these five truths today, maybe ten times today!  If you need help please talk to someone.  If you have no one to talk to feel free to drop us a note.  If your are contemplating ending your life STOP!  There are people who are there to help.  Click the link below and contact them, your parents, your pastor, or a friend. 


http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/


God loves you and so do we.


Peace,


David and the I-61 Project





4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post this last week. It made me cry because I could resonate so much with what you were saying about feelng lonely and hopeless.

    When I suggested to someone else that they should read it they said no way. They saw the title and just felt the urge to run from what you were sayng.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your words... I hope that along with the tears came some hope in the God who loves you. I think we often run away from the very thing that might bring us healing. We run from the doctor when we are sick but why? I think sometimes we are afraid of what we may find. We may find that, although we may have been the victim of hate, abuse, or something els, we also own part of our place in life. We have made mistakes "sinned", we have fallen short. But here is the GREAT news, Jesus came to seek and save that which was lost.. Like a doctor who walks the streets looking for the sick. We just have to stop running... Don't stop leading your friend to the place of healing. Jesus will be there and we will be here as well. God's peace to you friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your response. Hope? I don't know. I find that I like to keep God at arm's length and let him in in very small chunks and according to my time and agenda. I am trying to change that but continuously find myself failing.

    Point 5 talks about trusting God. How would someone do that? I feel that when I try to trust God with the small things it backfires, so how can I trust him and learn to have hope in him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the answer to trust is being in the Word and seeing God's faithfulness in the past, giving him a chance now and waiting to see how you grow in your spirit. God hasn't always delivered what I prayed for which would, in a worldly sense, decrease faith but since I have seen AMAZING things come out of what seemed like unanswered prayers my faith has grown. And, when his answer is yes my faith grows even more. Read this weeks post and I think the "backfire" perception will be discussed.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment or question. This is meant to be a dialogue not a monologue. Look forward to hearing from you!