Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Withered Vine and a Dying Cowboy

Do you remember the old western movies where a cowboy who was wounded by an Indian arrow is found by a group of settlers?  The cowboy is at the edge of death and later we see him bandaged and lying in a bed with a woman sitting next to him holding a spoon full of mush.  She touches it to his lips and urges him, "You MUST eat to regain your strength."  A while later we see the cowboy healed and heading off into the sunset.  Hold that thought.

A thunderstorm hits and the winds howl.  A few days later you walk out into your garden to see your prized climbing rose with a number of broken and bent stems and branches.  There are branches on the ground that are dead, dried, and shriveled.  There are others that are bent and look withered but are still alive.

The dictionary defines "wither" as:

- to shrivel or dry up as part of the process of dying, or making something, especially a plant or part of a plant

- fade away; to fade or lose freshness or vitality

Jesus gave us a number of images that help us to see how much we need to be in communion with him.  He called himself the bread of life and living water and reminded his followers that if they remained in him they would never die.  He gave them a parable about the vine and the branches and warned that those branches that didn't remain attached to the vine and thus failed to produce fruit would be thrown into the fire.

I don't know about you but when I go off on my own for a while and fail to remain in the Word, fall away from my prayer time with God, and fail to stay in CLOSE fellowship with like-minded, bible believing brothers and sisters in Christ, I begin to wither.  I lose a little of my spiritual strength.  I struggle with sin.  I fail to produce good fruit.  It can feel a little like being a cowboy crawling through the desert with an arrow in your backside.

If you feel a little weak in your spiritual life or if you are sensing a little more distance between you and the Father then I urge you to eat of the bread of life and to examine your spot of attachment to the vine.  I know it's easier to say than to do but start by asking the Father for help.  Tell him you don't want to be apart from him.  He will draw you near.  Feed on the Word.  Pray, Pray, Pray.   Don't forsake gathering for worship and don't be afraid to tell a brother or sister how you feel.  Their prayers and encouragement are so valuable.

Take it from someone who goes through seasons of spiritual drought.  There are times of refreshing that will follow if you stay the course.  God has used those times to humble me but also to grow me.  He has reminded me of my utter dependence on Christ.  Feel free to contact us if you need some prayer or encouragement.

Peace,

David

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for reminding me to stay the course even if at this time I am feeling weak in my
    spiritual life.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment or question. This is meant to be a dialogue not a monologue. Look forward to hearing from you!