Saturday, January 30, 2010

Aliens in a Foreign Land


It's January.  Last week I was scraping hunks of ice from my windshield and digging a really cool snow fort with my boys.  The sky was its usual dull grey and the sun was like Amelia Earhart (missing for a long time!).  We were home.  My sons and I could communicate with each other because we all speak the same language.  There is a kind of comfort in being at home, a familiarity with the things, the surroundings, and the people.

Today, however,  I'm in Mexico.  It's hot and I now know where the sun went.  It's down here getting away from the snow I guess.  People are speaking Spanish, French, German, and a Canadian dialect of English.  The money looks funny and for some reason a $100 bill (Pesos) is worth about eight bucks.  Now it's easy to see that as I sit here, I am a foreigner and an alien in this land.  It is wonderful to be on vacation but there is an underlying uneasiness.  First I though it was because I was in a foreign land far from home but then I realized that there were many times I felt like that right in my own living room. 

I've talked to fellow brothers and sister in the faith who share a similar feeling.  No matter how happy they are there is never a complete contentedness.  Don't get me wrong.  I love my family and I am continually in awe of God's creation and the blessings I have.  It's something deeper, much deeper.  What is it?  I think that Peter gives us a clue and I think that Jesus reminded us of it as well.  Let's take a look.


1 Peter 2:9-11
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.  Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. 
Peter said, "I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world . . ."
That's it!  I'm an alien and a strange, not just in Mexico but even in Michigan.  That's why there is always just a little part of me that can't cling to the things of this world.  I also have a growing understanding of the temporal nature of the stuff I try to grab hold of.  The great meals come and go and a couple hours later my stomach growls again.  The sun rises and the sun sets (at least it does here in Mexico). So why is it that God allows me such joy but won't let me take hold of it too tightly?  Why can't I completely dive into the things of this world and feel at home?  Why?  Because, I am a visiter.  I am an alien and a stranger.  God made me for a different place and for a different purpose.  
Psalm 119 verse 19 says it this way:
"I am a stranger on earth; do not hide your commands from me."
Jesus made it clear that we do not belong to the world.  In John chapter 15 he said, "If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own.  As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world."
I just wanted to share with you today that if you are a child of God through faith in his Son don't be too discouraged if you just can't seem to be completely content in the world.  It's OK!  That's the way it is supposed to be. There is another facet to this that I think is important to share.  When God chose us out of the world he didn't do so in order that we just kick back and have a great time  but so we could lead others to him.  I know he blesses us with many wonderful things and I know he graces us with joy and laughter and peace but remember that the real deal will be when we get home.  I love it here in Mexico but I have to say that there is no place like home!
Peace,
David

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post a comment or question. This is meant to be a dialogue not a monologue. Look forward to hearing from you!