Saturday, December 19, 2009

Fear - Bad thing or Good thing? The Bible says, "Both!"


When I was about ten years old I watched a movie called "The Legend of Boggy Creek".  I don't think I was supposed to watch it but somehow it passed the parental filter. Fear was born.  The movie was about Sasquatch, otherwise known as Bigfoot and from that night on (at least for a few months) I was certain the hairy, ape-man was roaming my neighborhood.  I couldn't sleep and fear gripped my mind. I peeked out of my bedroom window every night scanning the yard and the street for signs of him and then anxiously looked under my bed just in case he somehow got through the front door.

Fear, anxiety, worry, dread.  We're afraid of our failing finances, our failing health, our safety. We fear losing our children, our spouses, our pets, our freedom, and our honor. We can't sleep and our appetites go south. We seek counseling and we seek medicines that will calm our fears and, behind our Sunday smiles, the fear still lingers.

So, do you have a Sasquatch roaming the streets of your mind right now?  I think that it would be a good time to look at fear and anxiety and see if we can find some freedom and some hope from the giants that are holding us captive.

I set out to search the Bible to see how many times and in what ways the word "fear" was used.  I guess I assumed that I would see over and over "FEAR NOT!" and yes that was there  but  that is not exactly all that  I found.  The most common Old Testament word for fear was "yare" and in the New Testament was "phobos" from which we get the word phobia. These words mean fear, dread, terror but also have a component of awe and reverence.  As I scanned the search results what I found over and over and over again were the phrases "fear God" and "the fear of the Lord". GREAT! One more thing to be afraid of! "That will not go over well with my readers!", I thought. But then I began to read and search and pray. Here is what I found and I pray that you will grab ahold of this and find freedom from your fear.

I first want to say that there are many times that the Lord reminds us that he is ALWAYS in control and the believer need not ever worry.  We will look at those awesome promises in a moment but it seems that the Bible tells us that there is a precursor to the promise and that the answer to the problem of fear is fear.  WHAT? How can fear cure fear?  Let's see.

Take a look at these verses and ponder them for a moment:

Ecclesiastes 12:13  "Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man." (King Solomon)


Proverbs 9:10  "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (King Solomon)


Deuteronomy 5:29  "Oh, that their hearts would be inclined to fear me and keep all my commands always, so that it might go well with them and there children forever!"  (God)


1 Samuel 12:24  "But be sure to fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you."  (Samuel)


Psalm 103:11  "For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him."  (King David)


Acts 10:34-35  "I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism but accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right."  (Peter)

I think that the beginning of our freedom from fear begins with a right view of God and an understanding and acknowledgment of who his is.  It begins when we see him with the awe and the reverent fear he deserves.  I know that it seems counterintuitive to fear the One from whom we look to for love but we are weak people and there is a certain amount of fear necessary to keep us on the right road. Be honest.  Don't we drive a little slower when we think there is a state trooper around the next corner?  Don't we walk a little more carefully along the edge of a cliff than we do when we walk down the side walk.  There are fears that are healthy and reasonable and the fear of the Lord is one of those.  When we know who we are and who He is then we can humble ourselves and draw near to him but always with a holy awe and reverent fear.

Now for those who fear him and seek him he promises that we need not fear!  Ever!!  Soak in these verse and hold them close to your heart:

Psalm 23:4  "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the valley of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me." (King David)


Isaiah 41:10 "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."  (God)


2 Chronicles 20:15  "This is what the Lord says to you, 'Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army.  For the battle is is not yours, but God's.'"  (Jahaziel son of Zechariah)


John 14:27  "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.  I do not give as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."  (Jesus, the Christ)

So, today as you go forward, consider the power, majesty, and love of the God of the universe and fear him.  But as you do remember that he created you for relationship and for eternal life.  Remember that he loved you enough to send his Son to die for you and me.  Then remember that for those who love him and have come by faith, nothing is impossible and no enemy too strong.  There are no storms too violent or diseases that can't be conquered!  Jesus said, "Do not be afraid".  Let's cling to that and remember that one day there will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things... will soon pass away.

May peace reign in your hearts this Christmas!

David






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post a comment or question. This is meant to be a dialogue not a monologue. Look forward to hearing from you!