Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Time to Rest

Well, after 48 weeks of writing this Blog I finally missed a Saturday post. This past weekend I found myself in a little cabin in the open fields of North Dakota and guess what? No Internet. I think God knew that it was time for a Sabbath, not from the writing, the teaching, the worshiping, or any of that but from the busyness of the world. God's Word reminds us that we need to rest. It reminds us that God has designed us to be with him and to bask in his goodness. I realize now, more than ever, how much noise there is in our lives. Noise that keeps us from hearing God even as we seek to serve him.

As I laid back in the grass, in the darkness of early morning, looking over an old pinto bean field strewn with a couple dozen goose decoys, I realized that I didn't hear anything except the slight cold breeze whisking past my ears. The eastern horizon was beginning to glow a light blue when I began to hear the sound of thousands of snow geese coming off the water of the nearby lake. They were heading off to feed in the fields before making they're way south for the winter. It was good. God is so good. Then I looked south and could see the constellation Orion which has always been like a trusted old friend that faithfully comes to visit me every winter. There was a small part of me that was unsettled because I knew that the Blog wouldn't go out as it had for the past 48 weeks then I thought, "Maybe no one will notice. Maybe no one will care." I hoped that they would, not because I needed to feel appreciated but because I hoped that what I felt God had called me to do mattered. I think in that moment I understood that it matters most to God. He doesn't really need me per se (after all he is God) but he loves me and he wants me and as given me the opportunity to share in his Kingdom work. Now he was saying, "Rest David." Wow, it was good to rest! Thanks God!

I hope and pray that you will stop for a moment and rest as well. Turn off the TV, the Ipod, the Xbox 360, the cell phone, the computer (after you finish reading this of course), and then just rest. Talk to God. Listen to God. Enjoy God's presence. You'll probably have to go out of the house to get away from the stuff. Maybe you can get away for the weekend or maybe just for a couple hours in a nearby park. But you need to rest.

Psalm 62:5 says, "Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him."

Thanks again for following as we seek to know God and to draw nearer to him and thanks for listening to the babblings of a sentimental guy who loves God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit, and who loves you as well.

I look forward to being back in the swing on Saturday morning, God willing.

Peace,

David

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post a comment or question. This is meant to be a dialogue not a monologue. Look forward to hearing from you!