Saturday, March 21, 2009

Wrong Way Riegels - Are you running the wrong way too?


It's New Years Day 1929.  It's the second quarter of the Rose Bowl and there's a fumble. California center Roy Riegels picks up the ball and starts to run.  He runs fast with heart, passion, and purpose but there is one small problem.  He's running in the wrong direction.  70,0000 fans were screaming, his team mates were screaming, and the radio broadcaster Graham McNamee could be heard yelling "What am I seeing?  What's wrong with me?  Am I crazy? Am I crazy? Am I crazy?"  But, Roy ran all the faster until his own teammate Benny Lom tackled him on the three yard line.  Ugh!  Must have been a long walk to the sidelines.

I heard this story and initially thought it was quite funny until God put another image in my head; millions of people running down the field of life in the wrong direction.  Running toward what they believe is the goal line when in fact they are running backwards.  Roy Riegels stood up after that play and his head hung low, far from the joy and elation he was expecting.  Last week I shared a bit of my story.  In a way, I was Roy Riegels, running fast, running hard, believing  I was going the right direction.  God was telling me to turn around but I ran all the faster.  He let me run to within inches of the opponents goal line an then he knocked me to the ground.  I got up dazed, dejected, embarrassed, confused, and afraid.  

Ever been there?  Are you there now? Are you running but going nowhere or even heading down the road to destruction?  Are you running toward riches, fame, comfort, position, possessions, lust, or self esteem?  Let me ask another question.  Have you ever been satisfied by the prize you ran after and caught?  If you were, how long did it last?  How about the job, the girl or guy, the salary, the award, the title, the big screen TV, the vacation to Bora Bora, or the Porche 911 turbo?  Be honest with yourself.  Hasn't it all been sinking sand?

Jesus said, "What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul?" He also told a parable (a story used to illustrate a point) about a foolish man who built his house on the sand "The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against the house, and it fell with a great crash."  What have you gained and on what are you building your house?  Think about it for real.  This isn't a sermon to listen to then check your watch to make sure the service isn't impinging on your 12:15 tee time.  You're here because God is drawing you near.  He's calling you toward the goal line.  I can promise that many people and many things will tempt you to take your ball and run full steam toward the wrong end zone but listen to your heart.  Listen to the one who made your heart from scratch.  Listen to God.

If you're without God, if you're without Christ, if something in you is saying "What's wrong with me? Am I crazy? Am I crazy? Am I crazy?", then stop, turn around, look up, and ask God to direct your path.  I promise that he'll get you to the goal line.  If you've already been tackled on the three yard line, don't lose hope!  You're still in the game and there is still time on the clock! How much time?  Good question!  Only God knows but there are a whole lot of people who want to run with you back down the field and there is a Savior who will clean you up and give you a new life!  Don't be like "Wrong Way Riegels".  It's a long walk to the sidelines.

Have a great week and thanks to all of you who have joined the I-61 Project family!

One last thing.  We want to share a song from Ivor's CD "Nowhere Else to Go" that may touch your heart with this message.  If you received this post in your email you might need to go to the actual blog to hear the song.  It's worth the visit!  




In Christ, David


2 comments:

  1. Definitely more to think about! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the analogy. Sometimes I wonder if I'm running in the right direction too. Ultimately, it does come down to God's will.

    May God keep blessing this project. Lovin' it so far.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to post a comment or question. This is meant to be a dialogue not a monologue. Look forward to hearing from you!